Pages

Tuesday, 10 February 2015

Valentine's Edit: 3 Ways to Wear Red

For the second part of my Valentine's Edit I thought I'd show you my 3 favourite ways to rock a red lip. In my previous 'Valentines Day Make Up Look' post I opted for more of a pink themed make up look so today I thought I'd show you a different take on a Valentine's day look! I think a red lip is the perfect look for Valentines Day if you want to opt for a simple face of make up but want to pair it with a bold, statement lip! My favourite way to wear a red lip is paired with a flawless, dewy base with a lot of contouring so that the lips are the focus of the look.

So here are my top 3 red lip picks which would be great for Valentine's day or any other day of the year, and all have very different formulas! 


3 Ways to Wear Red - Valentine's Day

1. Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl - £18
This product made my cut of my top 10 favourite products of last year and I'm still loving it this year.Dragon Girl is a striking and vivid pillar box red with a matte formula. The fact that it's matte means that it doesn't budge from your lips and stays put for ages. Although it's matte it doesn't dry out the lips, however I do tend to apply a lip scrub, usually Lush's Lip Scrub in Bubblegum, before applying it to get rid of any dryness, which I guess is even more important if you're thinking of wearing it on Valentine's Day! 


2. Mac Ruby Woo - £15.50

Ruby Woo is the only red lipstick from Mac that I own but I feel like this is the perfect pillar box red so I don't need another. It's described as a 'very matte vivid blue-red.' A matte formula, is definitely my formula of choice when it comes to a red lip as it means it won't end up all over your face throughout the day, which is especially important on Valentine's day! I like to apply Mac's Cherry Lip Liner all over the lips before I apply Ruby Woo as it makes it last even longer!  

3. Topshop Velvet Lips in Velveteen Ribbon

This is my latest red lip addition and the formula of Velveteen Ribbon is quite different to any other lipstick I've tried out before. It's fairly similar to a liquid lipstick but has a more powdery, soft and lightweight formula. I love the formula of this and as it's so lightweight it doesn't even feel like you have anything on your lips. Like my other two picks, Velveteen Ribbon's lasting power is phenomenal and lasts all day, so much so I have to really scrub it off the lips with make up remover! I would describe it as a deeper more of a wine toned red in comparison to my other picks!  

3 Ways to Wear Red - Valentine's Day
(L to R) Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl, Mac Cherry Lip Liner, Mac Lipstick in Ruby Woo and Topshop Velvet Lips in Velveteen Ribbon 

So there you have it, my top 3 ways to wear a red lip on Valentine's day instead of wearing a typical pink make up look. What are your favourite red lip picks? 

Bella Lulu Ink Blog